KILA has the mandate of facilitating and accelerating the socio-economic development of the State through strengthening the Local Self Government Institutions (LSGIs). As a Government of Kerala supported nodal agency for training, research and consultancy, KILA is committed to the following objectives:
- Undertake various training programmes for the Elected Representatives and Officials of Rural and Urban Local Governments of Kerala,
- Facilitate and strengthen decentralized planning process,
- Undertake action-oriented research activities,
- Document best practices on local governance for dissemination,
- Organize seminars, workshops and discussions, and
- Formulate policy documents.