A library OPAC (Online Public Access Catalog) has been developed using KOHA.
KOHA is an open source Integrated Library System (ILS) maintained by and used by libraries. This software consists of several modules supporting all the activities of a library: on-line catalog (OPAC), cataloging, authorities management, circulation, user management, acquisitions, periodicals, reporting, and administration.
OPAC is an online database of materials held by the library. In fact, OPAC is an interface between users and library's collection.
The major possibilities of using KOHA- OPAC are
- Keyword and advanced searching
- Search filtering by location, item type, subjects and more
- Tagging, commenting and star ratings
- Availability and online resource links shown on search results
- Virtual shelf browser
- Social network share buttons
- Ability to place, suspend and cancel holds
- List of current and past checkouts
- Account history (fines and payments)
- Access to account information
- Subscribe/Unsubscribe to/from library notices via email, SMS and/or phone
- Make purchase suggestions